Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

convos with the boss


i found a new tactic to talk with the adoption "boss."
one-liners.
how bout that? i usually go into wonderful detail with bullet points and expressive questions, but i get general one-lined responses. occasionally there will be a flicker of information i don't already know, but most of the time, it's not NEW news to me.
i usually feel unsatisfied about it, and just try to encourage my friends to ask the questions i want to know at their next check-in, on the off chance that they get more info.
BUT, i decided to go ahead and write back my question. no big post with my dte date and full name. no flattering words before hand (though they are true). just the question. and wouldn't you know it? i get answers!

example:
my original post requesting information at 7 months:

Hi!
Welcome back! I hope your visit to Thailand was good.
I'm writing in for my 7 month check. We are on the list for an infant boy with a DTE of 2.27.09.
I understand that a few referrals went out recently to families with Feb dossier dates. Do you happen to know what DTE date is next up for a referral?
Is it possible to guess how long the wait would be for me (assuming, by subtraction that we are now number 3 on the list)?
Do you know if babies are coming into care daily? or weekly?
Any chance you can share specifics (boys/girls/toddlers?)
Again, I know you just got back, so please don't feel obligated to make this email response a priority. I am trusting that things will happen soon enough.
Thanks again for any answers you can give!
Katie Nester
DTE 2.27.09
b/g 0-18 months


the response:
Actually there were several dossiers sent on Feb 27. When that happens we look at the date the family applied to AAI and the one that applied first gets the first referral, all things being equal. So, it looks like there are still a couple of families ahead of you.

okay, i knew that. i have been told on more than one occasion that there was another 2.27 DTE for a boy (and because they applied first, they'll go before me).

my curiosity peeked. i changed my tactic: (insert one-liners)
Does this mean that Feb 27th is the next dossier date for infant boys??

the response:
Yes, but as I explained, you will not get the baby because others whose applications were filed before your will be considered first. It shouldn’t be long though.

AWESOME! i have been beyond curious to see what DTE they were on, and only half-expected to get a general response (ie: beg of Feb, middle of Feb, end of Feb, etc) So this was GREAT NEWS! we are 2.27!! i mean, it can't get any closer than that!!

of course, i should be satisfied with that response and just hold my breath for the next few weeks, but i thought, hey...why not one more TINY question:
Any chance of referrals going out before you leave (for the people ahead of me)?

the response:
Nope, I am out the door in about 10 minutes. *S* can give referrals if complete files are available while I am gone, though.

hey, it was a good try right? at least i know when she gets back from Ethiopia, my friend has a DTE check-in; and i have passed along my awesome knowledge of the one-liners to her. i'm certain she will get more info! and you never know - maybe the boss will come back with armloads of files for us all!!

No comments: