Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

a little bit of nothing

Well, I feel like posting, but I dont feel like I really have anything to say. So, I'll vamp. Haha.
Actually, I recently found out that there is only one more family waiting for a boy, with a December DTE (dossier to Ethiopia) date, which is good. Unfortunately I've been told that there were many families who sent out dossiers in January and February, so it'll still be a wait for us. Bummer. I continue to pray for a referral in early June. And here's why:
Tim's youngest brother, David, is getting married on the 20th of June, and I'm dying to have a picture of our baby to show everyone in his family! That would be truly amazing! It will also be awesome if we got the doctor's approval and paperworked signed BEFORE we leave for a week in Ohio. God's timing is perfect, so I will continue to try to be content to wait. :)
Hmm...what else?
We have a few newbies to our OAEG (Our Awesome Ethiopian Group), and it was cool to check out their blogs.
Wait, let me explain about OAEG - When we sent in our application, or shortly after approval, we were sent an email explaining about the importance of connecting with other adopting families.
AAI has a Yahoo group with all kinds of great information and families from all different points in the adoption timeline. Some have their children home (some home for years), some are waiting to travel, some are waiting to pass court, some are waiting for a referral (like me!!) and some are waiting to send their dossier to Ethiopia, etc. We of course, all have a lot in common, ((sensing a repetitive word here?)) so it's great to be able to post questions and get answers without calling our agency 100x per month...or just feeling lost in the dark.
ANYWAY, getting to our group. We have that main AAI group, the "big board," with, I don't know, 200-some families. But because there are so many, and everyone's at such a different spot in the adoption timeline, it can get confusing.
So, one of my AAI girlfriends and I decided to start a smaller, more manageable group - with people who are currently working on their dossiers, or have sent them in (as of the last few months) or just recently got a referral. It's neat to see everyone who is in the same "boat" near the same time. It's not a 'talkative' group just now, but I'm sure once we all get our babies, the comraderies will form.
Well, back to checking out the websites,
One of the sites, I've noticed has a family of 10 biological children, 3 adopted from Ghana, and now they are adopting from Ethiopia. WHOA! I mean, that's a CRAZY amount of kids!!
Sometimes I wonder how people decide to have this many. Do they make the decision, or just keep the "ball rolling." Not that there is anything wrong with it, but I wonder if growing up, these girls think of having such a giant family?
I know I used to wonder what it would be like to be in such a huge group of kids, but that's usually as far as my brain could comprehend. Now, as a Mom, I'm extending my brain as far as I can to think of me WITH that many kids! And I'm not sure I could do it. We are thinking probably 4 kids, but you never know. I do know I don't plan on birthing 10 children. Haha. (Luckily for me, doctor's don't let you have that many c-sections either.) We'll have at least 1 more biological and 1 more adopted, but the thought of having kids (bio or adopted) is addicting.
It consumes a lot of my thoughts. :) I'm just so grateful God is letting me experience both ways to be a Mommy!
To that end, I am going to go read and let you quit reading this post (it's gotten pretty long for me "not having anything to say," wouldn't you think?)!
Okay, goodnight.
Here are some pictures of Cale's 2 year JC Penny photo shoot.
(above) At first I was afraid he was pooping, but it was just a 'killer' pose!

(above) He actually was copying what I was doing, so I got behind the photographer and did this pose. A great strategy, I'd say!

(below) He did this pose on his own!
Okay, the pose was set up by the photographer, but pulling up his pantleg, was all Cale.
(below) They tried to use these plastic words to spell out the word TWO, but Cale wouldn't leave them alone, so they took them away and gave him a plastic 2. He didn't understand that it was not a toy. He threw that thing in the air so many times, it's surprising it didn't hit him in the face.
Oh wait, it did. Uncontrollable crying, and a huge red mark on his cheek...end of pictures. :)Okay, now I'm going to bed. NIGHT!

4 comments:

Sensei100 said...

I have been enjoying reading your blog lately. My husband and I are in the process of adopting through AAI as well. We are anxiously waiting to hear that our dossier was sent. Can you give me the information on how to join the smaller group?

Amber said...

Hi There,

Cale is sooo cute in those pics I love it. And, I know your referral is going to come in perfect timing. I will go check out the newbies blogs... I have been bad and I haven;t done it yet. I like the nothing post... you could post more about nothing and I would still enjoy reading :)

Melinda said...

Love the pictures of Cale. So cute! I am guessing you will be getting your referral by mid May at the latest.

Julie said...

Hey Hey Hey! I want to join the smaller group too! :)

My husband and I sent our dossier to ET through AAI for our first baby back in August, so it should be any day now...

I'd love to get to know the families better whose babies are at Wanna at the same time...what a great support system! Love reading your blog!