Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

the question.


I feel like for the past week or so, I'm getting a lot of the same question.
And here it is:
"What's going on with your adoption?" (and variations of it, including "Are you still doing the adoption thing, what's going on with that?")
I'd love for all of you to all picture asking a pregnant women if she was still "doing the pregnant thing." She might knock you out. haha!
Really though, I'm not offended, and I can totally see why people are asking.
So, here's the answer:
YES!!! We are still adopting! We're just on the waiting list. Not much goes on while you are on the waiting list, except waiting. And waiting isn't that interesting. Especially not to people who want to have something tangible. (Is that the right word there?...hopefully:)

To be perfectly honest, it's kinda hard to be "in the dark" waiting. Sometimes I feel time flying, but other times I'm reminded of how much time we could still have left before we know anything.
Plus, I've been feeling over excited these days, and I have been trying to take a step back. Because when I get excited, I tend to get anxious, and my anxiety quickly turns into impatience, and by then I know that I'm not trusting the Lord. So, when I find myself toeing the line, I need to stop doing things that might make me cross over, like looking at the shared photos of the babies in the orphanage, or scouring the "waiting timelines" on our yahoo group, and keep focusing on God's peace and serve Him. I'll be the first to admit that sometimes it's so hard to look at all those beautiful pictures and not long to know who our baby is, or to try to figure out where we might be on the list and "guesstimate" our referral time, etc.
Most of the time my stomach anticipates the wait and it is fine, but other times (specifically when people ask me "what's new on the adoption front") I want so desperately to have news for them, and that's when I feel my heart getting nervous. Overall though, the Lord is helping me to be where I need to be. My heart is in Ethiopia, but my head is still here. Sometimes it floats up to the clouds, but I felt that too when I was pregnant with Cale.
The anticipation of a new baby is so wonderful...it just needs to be moderated.
Bottom line people: We're still here! We're still adopting! And even though we may not have news for another month or two, I will try to keep everyone posted until that blessed day comes!

2 comments:

Julie said...

Hi Katie!
Yes, waiting is H-A-R-D, and answering other's questions with a smile can sometimes feel like torture. This winter felt especially dark for me. But we are here for each other before we throw ourselves at a gallon of ice cream (or, in my case, Nachos Bell Grande at 1am). And now that I finally have seen my baby's face, I'm smitten! It's coming....
xoxo

Megan said...

I actually liked the pre-referral questions better than the post-referral ones. At least when you're on the waiting list - people know what a waiting list is! Once you have a referral no one knows what you're talking about with court groups, court dates, embassy and travel dates! I just love that question, though - Hey are you guys still adopting?? It's just such a long process and no one(other than those who've been or are going through it) understands! I almost bought a shirt the other day that said:

Yes we're still adopting.
No we don't know anything.

Perfect, right??