Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

crying over spilled milk


Ever heard the expression, "Don't cry over spilled milk"?
Of course you have...everyone has.
Well, today the phrase took on a whole new meaning!
My beloved 2 year old son, Cale, is going through a phase where he is very aware of his possessions, and the difference between a "whole" item, and one that is not.
Ie: A whole glass of milk (actually, for him it's half) a whole twizzler, a whole sandwich...you get the picture.
So, I guess because of the pride he feels in his "whole" item, he gets DEVASTATED when his item breaks, pulls apart, or in this case...spills.
Tonight I gave him a glass of milk with supper, and because he was very eager to have it, he started drinking it too fast and yes, it spilled. Tragic, right?
For him, it was. When he noticed it dripping down his chin he immediately yelled "OH NO!" and then proceeded to cry. As I noticed the milk dripping on the floor, I contemplated on why this was such a big deal for him, when I'm the one who would have to clean up the mess!! And what a big fuss over something so small! But then I realized that he probably feels like it WAS a big deal. He's not going to get that milk back, and there's nothing he can do about it. I shouldn't judge him.
Each month I check in with less enthusiam. I should be pumped, thinking we are that much closer, but I think I'm getting more and more lost in this process each time I call.
I await news of my new baby...but there is no news. At my 2 month check in I was told 1-3 more months. I remember thinking, "surely not 3 more!!" and now, checking in at month #5, I was told I still have MONTHS left. Yes, months!! It's very upsetting.
Other people have given me advice as they look at MY spilled-milk world...and I can tell that they think a few more months may not be a big deal. Good for them, but I still may "cry about it".
Boo-hoo. So, there. ;)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Oh, Katie. You cry all you want, babe. This journey is a hard one and your's will be much longer than mine, so I can't even begin to comprehend how you feel. Besides, sometimes crying (in it's own demented way) can make you feel better. So cry all you want. Just make sure to smile through your tears, because when this journey is over, you will have more joy that you dreamed possible. Wow, I should put that on a Hallmark card. Sometimes I surprise myself.