Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Friday, June 19, 2009

there's something missing...


So, we're in Ohio for Tim's brother's wedding. We arrived last night after a long car trip with a certain little boy who slept less than an hour the whole way... ho hum.
Anyway, the visit has been very nice. The rehearsal dinner was tonight and of course, tomorrow is the wedding. Cale has met a bunch of his extended family so far with more to come...
Tonight was fun and casual, the dinner was first, complete with a pizza buffet and lots of appetizers. Before desserts were allowed, David and his fiance Amber were instructed to introduce their families. David started with his parents, brother Jon (and kids), Renee (and kids) then Tim, Cale & I, after which we all dug into brownies & cookies. The rehearsal was short, which was nice (especially when you have 7 kids under 7 "hopped up" on sugar) and then we left.
As we drove back to his parents house, Tim and I were talking and I started telling him that even though we've been surrounded with adults and kids these past 2 days, I feel like there is someone missing. I count up the kids and I know the number is right, but I feel like a piece of the Family Puzzle not accounted for.
When you're adopting, it's not like you're visibly pregnant, so people don't ask you "how you're doing" or "when you're due"...and to be quite honest, we don't hear much at all sometimes. But we are PAPER pregnant! ;) We want to talk about our new baby and everything that details him!
Tonight Tim said "I feel like I should tell everyone, This is my wife Katie, my son Cale, and we're expecting a baby from Ethiopia" ;) He thought that might seem a little strange...haha. If people don't ask you, do you mention to them you're having a baby? I may have, but it's been awhile. Most people wait until they are 'sure' you're pregnant (and not just fat) to say something; but I'm not carrying Him in my belly, He's here in my heart, so how will they know?!
Tonight my niece Willow suggested I wear a name tag so she can remember me. She told me it should say "Aunt Katie, Cale's Mommy"...the more I think about it, the more it sounds like an excellent idea. I think I'll display it proudly, right over my heart and also add "Jace's Mommy (ask me about it)!" It may add up to a long name tag, but it just might work, and then I can feel like my "whole" family is accounted for. :)

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I LOVE this post. I OFTEN feel the exact same way. Our middle daughter died shortly after her birth and we've always struggled with the "how many kids do you have" question...do we say 3 and then put the people in an uncomfortable situation as we explain that we lost a child, or do we say 2 and feel the ache in our own hearts that we aren't "acknowledging" her? We have found ourselves in the same situation during this adoption...how many kids do we say we have now?! Since we're hoping for 2 from Ethiopia do we say we have 2, 3, 4, 5? :0) It's a problem...but a good one to have right?!

Ashley
ashleyredburn@hotmail.com
(my adoption blog is private if you'd like an invite, just email me)

Ashley said...

I would also like to know more about your raffle / silent auction that you had. We've had several people offer things / services to be raffled off, but we're not sure how to go about setting the whole thing up...if you wouldn't mind sharing some tips / suggestions I would appreciate it!