Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

news.



To quote a fellow blogger friend, "I have news...it's not THE news, but adoption news, nonetheless."
Okay, the news -
I wrote to our Director for my 4 month check-in. I have also called AAI, but I have yet to hear anything back. And since I feel like it's easier to 'copy and paste' then to recap the things that have transpired, that's what I'll do.

ME:
Hello.
I'm writing in for my 4 month update. I know you're on vacation, so dont feel like you need to respond until you get back. My questions remain the same from the last month.
Is it likely that I will receive a referral for an infant boy before the July 15 fee increase?
Am I near the top of the list?
I understand that referrals are going out to the last 2 DTEs in January, and that February was a busy month. Are there many families before mine waiting for a boy? Many like 10? or 5?
I know the severity of the conditions in Ethiopia, and we are praying for rain for them (among other things). I also pray that court dates and referrals can continue because of it.
Any information you could give me at this point would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I just finished reading "there is no me without you" and I must say that I felt a huge swell of pride when your name and AAI's reputation was mentioned. I know people recommended the book, but I didn't know exactly why. I want to tell you that it is wonderful to be working with you...a notary in that book, and it really makes me trust AAI and their love for the children.
Hope your resting well and I look forward to hearing from you when you are back.

HER:
Hi. It could go either way in terms of a referral for you before the middle of July. We will be offering every baby in the nursery, even if we don't have a complete file--so think about accepting a baby without a complete history. Of course if the file is not complete and a family changes their mind later due to information that was previously unknown, it is OK, we would just make another referral. I don't know how many babies are in the nursery now.

ME:
Hello again,
With regards to the information you gave yesterday, would you be able to clarify something for me?
You mentioned that every baby in the nursery will be offered, regardless of completed files.
Does this mean every baby that is in care as of now, or up until July 15 (regardless of how long they've been there)?
Also, what kinds of things would be left out of a file...is it mainly medical information?
And because I am unfamiliar with the referral process, I have another question about how the process will work for families to get referrals before files are completed.
Am I correct in guessing that AAI will get basic information on each baby, and then make referrals, sharing completed information when it becomes available?
Thanks for answering my questions. We are definitely open to accepting a referral before the files are complete, if given the opportunity.

HER:
Katie, the details are not worked out yet, but I want folks to know that we are not going to hold back referring any babies in order to get a higher fee by referring after July 15.


So, what do you think? Is it a possibility? I am trying not to buy into the hype, but it's hard not to. If they are only 12 families in February (as we were told by a fellow OAEG friend who called for her update last week). Boys and girls. It looks as thought there are at least 4 families waiting for girls that we know of (and by that I mean that they posted their time line on the big AAI board). So that leaves at the very most 8 families waiting for a boy. Again, I can tell you that the fluid and the numbers don't always mean anything because people are requesting siblings, or girls and then may switch to an infant boy, etc. But...on the OPTIMISTIC side, 8 is not a lot right? There's gotta be at least 8 little baby boys/toddlers without a family over there, right??????????
I want to say yes.
Yes!!! And before you know it, I will be the Mommy of one of them. :)

No comments: