Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Monday, November 16, 2009

Welcome Bag




That's Right! Today I sent out Megersa's welcome bag!
It was really fun to put together, yet so hard to think of just those FEW things that would fit. I chose to give Megersa one of Cale's outfits he barely wore. It was in good shape and it already smells like our family, so I figured, why not! :)
I also found this great toy. Like I said before, these days I feel dense as to what 2-3 month old babies are interested in. Anything that goes in their mouth, right? :) If you look at the pic, you can see the toy. The giraffe's face is smiling at you!
This giraffe is one of those Lamaze toys. Usually between $15-20, but because I found it thrown in a clearance bin with no tag, I got it for $2! It is brightly colored, and has jingly legs. It's got rings to bite and it squeaks! I hope Megersa likes it! :)
I also included a photo album with pictures of Tim, Cale and I.
Getting the photo album together was a process, let me tell you!
See, our camera broke. Yes, another camera. This time last year we had the same problem. Ooh, and this time the year before. Cameras and Katies just dont seem to want to remain together. After only a 5 month relationship, I had to break up with our Kodak Easy Share M683...because it stopped trying.
Anyway...I have pics on my computer, so I decided to order them via York photos (note: I would not recommend this site if you actually want your pictures in the amount of time they promise you.) I ordered them last Monday, and I was told via email (on Wednesday) that they were being shipped out, and should arrive Thursday.
Today is Monday, and still I have no York pictures! This was the last peice of the puzzle for the welcome bag, so...'impatient me' chose to go to Walmart today and order pictures that are most likely 6 months-1 year old. We look basically the same. My hair is shorter and I'm not sporting the blonde highlights anymore...but Tim hasn't really changed.
Cale has, but Megersa won't care, will you buddy?? :)
I just couldn't wait any longer to send his bag! So, I got the pics printed out, then labeled all of them. It was SO fun to write
"Your Mommy"
"Your Daddy"
"Your big brother Cale."

I also included a disposable camera (so that the nannies could take pictures of him) and wrote Megersa a letter (in the hopes that a volunteer or traveling family could read it to him), and that's about all.
Oh wait...the most special part (at least it was for me)!
See, even though I am 26, I have a favorite blanket.
A special blanket.
A blankie. :)
Yep. It's actually is suppose to be a duvet cover, but I use it as a sheet. For whatever reason, the idea came to me that I should cut off a peice and give it to Megersa. This may sound goofy to people, but it's like letting him know he has a peice of Mommy's heart! AWE! :)
He does though. I'd cut out a piece for Cale too if I didn't think he'd just give it right back to me (he's already attached to "purple blanket").
But yeah, it's queen sized, so there's still plenty left for me. If you look at the pics, you'll see a white thing with red scribbles. Well, the 'scribbles' are actually hearts. It looks like a child just scribbled hearts all over the blanket. I love it. Really, I sleep with it every night. I don't like sharing covers, so this way, I don't have to! I know, I know...I'm a child.
So, I cut out a square from my blanket and hand-stitched the ends. It should smell like me because I am the only one who is allowed to use it (sorry Tim), and I sprayed some of my perfume on it (so Megersa can get use to my smell).
Now my blanket has a peice missing, but I like it even more.
I wrapped it all up, and sent it out priority. Hopefully it gets there this week, and then the next traveling staff member or family can bring it to him.
End welcome bag post.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YAY!!!! So exciting! Good idea about Cale's "nearly new" hand-me-down and I LOVE that you sent a part of your blankie.... It will be whole again when your family is whole! Cheesy, I know. Can't wait for more families to travel so you can get more pics!!!