Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

2+1

Today we had extra time before church (I can't believe it either!!)...so I decided on an impromptu photo shoot of the boys in their Sunday best!
Those two are so stinkin' cute - I just can't wait for the day that Cale voluntarily plays with Megersa! :)

Cale's best angle is NOT this one. :) ha ha! Megs is super excited though! Can you see the candy behind Cale's cheek? Bribery.
He kept YELLING "cheese!" He would hold it out so long it often looked forced.
This one is plain cute. Megersa is fascinated by Cale.
Do you see the little baggy of small candies next to Cale's leg? Incentive.
I WISH this picture wasn't fuzzy. It's so cute.
The best one, though I wish Megersa was smiling!!
Cale didn't care for this positioning.
One of the better ones, though it's a little 'yellowy.'


WELL...It's been 2 weeks and 1 day since Megersa came home.
I forgot to post yesterday...or I was too busy. Probably both.
Either way though, I'd like to make a quick post to tell you more about Megersa:
1. Megersa can now sit up alone.
About a week or so after he came up I could tell that it was coming soon. His back was getting much stronger, and now I dont really have to worry about him falling over when I put him down on his butt. SOMETIMES he'll lunge for something and then fall face down, but he's usually pretty steady.

2. Megersa is a PIGGY!
He's totally chowing down these days. I think he went from 3, 6oz bottles and mushed up crackers to 3 full baby food meals (and various bottles) in such a short time, I'm still trying to catch up to his appetite! BUT, I really love making baby food. Cooking, in general, soothes me...so this process is always fun to me. Plus, I'm a huge bargain shopper, so the thought that a 1 lb bag of carrots could feed him for several meals, and only cost $.99, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy - just like when I find things on clearance for 75% off or more! I'm so proud of his weight gain. He was such a tiny little thing when I first picked him up, but he's catching up to where he probably should be faster than I can shovel the food in!

3. His sleep is...a work-in-progress.
Tim and I weren't necessarily "blessed" with much of a sleeper in Cale, but even with that, so you'd think that we'd be used to getting up at night -but to add another "adjustment" in an infant is harder than we remembered. I guess to bottom line it - he's doing better at the night wakings than the first week. Usually it's about once a night (around 2-4) and then early morning for a bottle. Where Tim and I struggle is the early morning alarm clock. We did a pretty good job of programming Cale's body clock for a wake up after 7:30a (and sometimes even till 8:30a!!!), but we are still working on Megersa. He must be an early bird...which Tim and I are NOT. We love to stay up late...but that kicks us in the butt when we have to get up early. Ugh.

4. Megersa doesn't really care much for stroller rides.
I mean, sure, he's only had 3 in his life...but when he's not tired, he doesn't seem to enjoy it very much. Maybe it was because despite the cold, we decided to go for a family walk yesterday...My little man was NOT digging it! We will have to work on this one. I like carrying him in the ERGO, but before you know it, he won't fit in it anymore.

5. He gets CRAZY energetic when he's tired.
A few days ago I started catching on to his "tired" signals. You'd NEVER think it, but when he's tired and totally ready for bed - he'll start to squeal, and giggle and move his body as if he just drank a bottle of 5 hr energy. Most people would think that he just woke up, but Nope! He is ready to go down...the sooner the better. It's so strange, isn't it? Anyway, I think I'm starting to understand what he wants more and more as the time goes on. I'm happy for that!
We love him and love to watch his continued transition into our family.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

awwww, i love the pictures! it's so good to see the boys together...finally! I didn't realize what a peanut he is until he was sitting next to cale. praying about the sleep. that's a tough one. let me know how it goes.