Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

4 days?

Did I read that right?
I'm leaving in 4 days? And since today has started, it's really only like 3 MORE days left here. I'm shocked.
Honestly.
I'd like to tell you all that it feels SO real right now, but I'm still not processing it! It's like I've had this baby in my heart for so long, that it's hard to fathom actually having him in my hands.
The other thing too is - that even though I'm about 95% packed (suitcase-wise), I still have to gather up the documents I need, and the monies I'll bring. That part seems scary to me.
I'm the type of person who loses things. And I'm not exaggerating. I recently lost my wedding ring (though thankfully I never got it soddered to my engagement ring, so I still have the diamond!)...
I went on a 13 hour bus trip once (IT WAS BRUTAL) with my cousin and sister after our car broke down while driving home from college, and lost my ticket. I put it in my pillow!
Who does that!!
I'm pretty sure when they asked me where it was I started crying (and when you're a cute college girl they'll give you more passes in life than then old hag I've become - haha!).
I've misplaced (and I can say that because I've always found it again) my debit card MANY times, and well, lets just say that I've finally decided to hammered a small nail in to the kitchen wall for my keys to hang off of.

So, can you understand the fuss about traveling oversees?
I'm not sure if I've mentioned that I've only traveled oversees twice. In 2003 I went on a Missions Trip to Kosovo. It was great - but because it was with the college, I dont remember having anything to worry about but my ticket and passport.
In 2007 after we got married, we went to St. Marteen. Well, I was married, so Tim took care of all that stuff.
I know, I know...I'm a child! :)
So, now I have to worry about bringing a BOATLOAD of cash (for the baby's visa, our hotel, food, and spending money), a form called the I864, I865, I600 and a power of attorney.
Not to mention the E-tickets, and perhaps an immunization record (which I don't posses, by the way!)....whoa! I'm getting a little bit nervous about all of that.
What's that? I'll be fine?
Oh thanks, but I'm still anxious about it.
My energy is running out. I have been going NON-STOP with this house, - I've unpacked all but 3 boxes myself (though Tim has been great about setting up curtain rods, putting together the desk, crib, and helping move the heavy stuff).
So I'd like to announce that as of today - every box is unpacked! All that's left is deciding which of Cale's toys will go in his room, which will go in the toybox on the main floor, and which will remain in the basement living room/guest room/play room. :)
This townhouse is 3 floors with a large set of stairs up to the bedrooms, so I've been walking up and down steps, all day, with boxes in hand for the past 4 days. My muscles are exhausted. And I'm finding that even with sleeping pills, my mind is going a mile-a-minute too!
There are a bunch of little things I want to get done too, just personal, beauty-grooming things, that I'm hoping won't take a back-seat to the rest of the madness that is going on. Those are the kinds of things that de-stress me, but they aren't completely necessary.
But I press on.
Though it might be crazy to try and accomplish EVERYTHING in these last few and next few days, I am very aware that I will most likely NOT accomplish things when I'm home from ET...so I'd like it to be done - NOW.
Well, with all that rambling, I need to get back to work....

1 comment:

Rachael said...

wow!! 4 days! how exciting!! do you have money belts? i got them at walmart for pretty cheap. i would split up the money you are bringing (half on you and half on your mother-in-law) in the money belts. we kept our passports in there as well. do not put money in your bags. even carry-ons. keep it on your body. (we had several things stolen on our recent trip to Zambia). you also don't need to carry a shot record. we didn't even get half of the shots. have you been able to set up his nursery? you should post some pics!! :)