Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Friday, March 26, 2010

boogie picker

Judging by the title, you'd probably think this post was about Cale, huh?
You're WRONG!
I'M the boogie picker. I pick my kids boogies.
There. I said it. :)
It's true.
I had just been thinking that I might not be able to come up with something to post about today; when I opened the car door to get Megersa out, and spotted a stray, dried booger.
I HAD to get it! It's a compulsion.

So what if this is a grosse post! The reason behind it is pretty.

See, one of my biggest pet peeves is when kids walk around with crusty snot everywhere....or when their hair is all snarled up (mainly girls, of course).

So, I pledged to Tim and myself (because clearly it's my issue), AND YOU!! that our children will NOT walk around with boogers - wet or dry - on their nose...or their cheeks...or hair...
I mean, seriously...
Have you seen those children with the dried snot on their faces, everywhere? It grosses me out!
YUCK!
I also will make sure that our girls' hair is combed...every day. I'll teach them to comb it and make sure there are no knots.
I will braid it tight or put it in ponytails if they can't handle having it down. (All of this will some day be more of an issue I'm sure...boys hair is pretty easy.)

Anyway, I can't even post a picture of my kids with boogies, because I will not allow it.
It's SNOT an option!! (HA HA HA)

I know Cale is more accustomed to the picking, but I sometimes think that Megersa thinks I'm coming at his nose with a tissue, or my fingernail (Yes, I DO this...it's fine. I wash my hands after) JUST to torture him.
But with both of them having colds, I'm CONSTANTLY picking and wiping their noses.

Megs has come a long way though.
The first time I touched his nose in ET he started whimpering.
That poor kid had something going on with his nose the first day I picked him up. It was either dried and cracked skin - or BOOGIES!!!!!!!
Since then, I've scraped away the mess and realized that it is dried skin.
He also is currently battling with eczema on his cheeks.
It's gotten much better recently...I've been massaging his face with lotion/hydrocortisone ointment every day...several times a day.
He's getting better at receiving these "massages" now.
He certainly prefers it to the nose picking, for sure!

Anyway. That's my boogie picking post.
Does anyone else have this strange quality that is attached to their mothering style, or lifestyle?
I know even if I didn't have kids...I'd be happy to say, that I am usually 100% boogie free. :)

3 comments:

Molly said...

Ha! Yes. It is only a baby thing, though. I wouldn't dream of picking my seven year old's nose, haha. Too funny.

Patrick said...

I'm with you on this one. I refuse to let my son be son be seen in public with anything crusty- boogers, ear wax, fuzzies between his toes. I pick at him constantly. Sometimes if there is a dried boogie I can't get, I use tweezers. That is probably highly unsafe and I am not recommending it, haha.

Patrick said...

Oh, by the way that last comment was from Sarah, NOT patrick. Somehow I got signed in under his account. Pat DOES NOT support me using tweezers to get Weston's boogies.