Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Where are we now?

I've concluded the posts about the trip.
So where are we now? What are we up to? Well, we're adjusting to being a family of 4.
I feel like I've heard the statement that 'going from 1 child to 2 children is harder than any other addition' in your family. And, I'm starting to feel it.
Nap times are often scattered and I don't shower until the late afternoon most days.
Megersa is becoming more and more vocal with his needs, which is a GOOD thing (that means he's starting to trust us) but its making me feel like I'm ignoring Cale more and more.
I know that this is silliness, and that every family that goes from 3 to 4 feels something to this exent...but having it be MY experience this time...it's just that - what I'm experiencing.
I'm still figuring out how to parent Megersa. I know this sounds crazy...but my parenting style feels shaken - at least from the way I parented Cale (as a baby anyway). See, I KNEW Cale from the moment of birth...even the 9 months before that...so when he came home, I felt more prepared.
I'm still trying to win Megersa over, so it's a bit different. And not always easy (don't let his adorableness fool you - he can, and WILL turn on the pitiful water works when he wants something! :).
Maybe I'm too hard on myself. Maybe I'm too hard on Megs....maybe I'm just used to having a toddler who can talk, and understand what I mean when I say "hang on" (while I change him) or "calm down" (when I'm getting his food ready)- someone that understands my soothing techniques.......
We are all adjusting. We are sleep deprived and the house is a mess...but there is JOY.
Some days I feel overwhelmed...and I wonder what I got myself into, but then other times it all feels like a dream. Did we really adopt?
Was this baby born in Ethiopia? In AFRICA?
I mean, what a story for him to tell someday!
My 'topper' experience is always "I've had brain surgery" but how many people do you know that can say they were born in Africa? That they've experienced more tradegy, transition, and change in their first 7 months of life than most people do in their lifetime?
Life isn't bad by any means...just slower AND quicker, if that makes sense. Each day seems prolonged before I get a break to myself, but because I'm running around changing this diaper, feeding this one, I'll turn around, the day is done and I got NOTHING accomplished.
It's not all bad. I dont want this post to get anyone down.
Megersa has been doing wonderfully! We've only had a few more throwing up episodes, and his poo is SOLID now - yay!! He's eating like a HORSE! I swear he's gained a couple pounds already...he's starting to get rolls on his legs!
He's getting stronger and stronger by the day, and he LOVES watching his crazy big brother run around all day. But, if wearing my heart on my sleeve here, I have to say that I wish I were back in Illinois, surrounded by my close friends. I do not regret being in Maryland, and I'm sure that in time, I will form close bonds and this will certainly feel like home.
I LOVE being back on the East coast, I love our new house...the fact that there are several play grounds nearby, and that we have a community pool that opens in a month!
I like our new church and the people I've met...but I miss my girlfriends very much.
I'm itchy to settle back in to play dates and girl nights.
But things have certainly changed in the past month!
I'm SO glad that I unpacked completely before I left, otherwise those things wouldn't have exited their boxes...I'm sure of it.
I want to keep posting as often as I can. I enjoy the outlet, because I don't as tied to the cyber part of the adoption world right now. I dont feel the need to be on the computer checking my email 1000 times a day for updates on stuff now, so that sort of odd 'excitment' is gone...but so much has taken it's place.
We do hope to adopt a little girl soon. (And when I say soon, I mean relatively-speaking of course...the wait for a baby girl is getting longer by the minute. I think they're up to 15 months now for a referral?) If we started the process now, we'd have her home in 2 years at best!
But, I think we'll get adjusted here first... :)

4 comments:

natali said...

I must say, what a gorgeous set of brothers :))

Sarah H said...

Cute, cute, cute!! And whenever things settle down for you, you are WELCOME for a play date ANYTIME! :)

Lian said...

he really looks like he's getting fatter. Well done you.
I get the impression from some people who want to adopt that they feel that somehow it's going to be easier than being pregnant and having a baby. I think it would be so much harder! Still worth the work, but so hard! Good on ya, for taking it on, and many blessings on your family.
(But there are probably fewer people in the world that have had brain surgery. There are millions of people born in Africa who have seen more tragedy, loss, and rejection in 6 mos. than we will ever experience in our lives.)

erika

krissy said...

Katie thanks for your blog... At times it was like you were reading my mind! LOL... I hear you... I hear you!! It's crazy because our sons about the same age... I'm right there with you friend!!!