Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

boys vs. girls

Have you ever met one of those women who ONLY wants to parent little girls?
((Not to be confused with women who just so happened to only HAVE girls...there is a difference))
I'm sorry if you fall into the first group...but you are sometimes offending those of us with boys!
I have encountered this on more than one occasion:
while shopping, at a baby shower, general conversations with friends...where these baby-girl-crazy-women tell me how "thankful they are they had a girl, not a boy"...(and yes, people have said this!)...and "Aren't baby girls clothes SOOOOO cute?...don't you wish you could buy some?"
Um...no? I have a BOY, remember?
I even had one person say to me, while I'm GIGANTICALLY pregnant with Cale, (who I knew was a boy) "I'm SO glad I had a girl...girls are so much cuter and sweeter"....
Um? What was I suppose to say to that?
I think I said, "that's nice...I'm having a boy! I think boys are cute and sweet too!"
And it's TRUE! Sure, boys are loud, stinky, and sometimes confuse Mommy for a napkin (seriously, Cale JUST did this!)...but they are loving, and sensitive, and they also have some ADORABLE clothing to buy!
Occasionally I come across an "I only want boys" women, and I have to say I'm always taken a-back..."REALLY?!" :)...they are few and far between!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not the kind of women who wants all boys...I would love to parent at least one girl - adopted or biological...but I just wanted to tell women who can't fathom having a boy that, as a Mom of 2 boys...there is nothing to be afraid of!
And yes, you CAN find cute clothes!!!!
Observe:outfit for Megersa, and something that currently fits Cale. Awe! I can't wait to get them both together to take a picture!Crazy crazy Cale. Always putting on a show for Mommy.

5 comments:

Amy said...

I feel this way A LOT. I find myself saying to them, "you know what, I find it refreshing to shop for little boy clothes, I'm sick of pink, and I like putting something together that is adorably preppy that a girl could NEVER pull off." Teehee.

Danielle said...

boys are so much fun! i do want a girl just for the simple fact i am WAY out numbered but will love all of them just the same! silly women!

Shelby said...

I totally get this. I have a son (adopted from Vietnam) and am adopting a little girl from Ethiopia now. I have friends who have asked me why on earth I adopted a boy and I just cannot imagine what they're thinking. Boys are awesome! I was terrified of it at first, but he's the love of my life. I would adopt another boy, but he's just so special I cannot imagine loving another boy as much. Love the post!

Kelly said...

(random blog lurker here)
I always say I'd rather have 5 boys than even one girl! As much as I'd love a pink baby girl and a 6-year-old in pigtails an a dress... I do NOT want a teenage girl! There's nothing scarier than teenage girls!

Emily said...

Another random lurker here;

So glad you posted this! I am one of those women (yikes!) who has only girls and is terrified of having a boy. I grew up with sisters, and I have no reason to be scared of boys, they're just foreign to me I guess. I try not to go on and on about it, but never realized how that could offend those with boys. Now I know I wouldn't go off like some of the examples in your post (how rude!) but I am going to be more mindful now. Thank you for bringing this to light!