Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Saturday, January 9, 2010

passing time...

So, what have I been up to for the past few weeks? A lot of stuff. Some good, some bad...and some EXTRA fun!
I love, Love, LOVE to find a bargain! And I always find one. How do I get clothes so cheap? Easy. I just don't buy them if they aren't on sale. And I mean REALLY on sale...especially baby clothes. Kids burn through them so quickly, I just cannot see spending the amount of money some will.
Today I found a shirt at the thrift store (yep...I love me some thrift stores!!) for $.22, you read that right - twenty-two cents. Oh yeah!
Ever since Christmas, I've really been feeling like I will see Megersa SOON. I know I probably still have another 2 months or so before I can actually hold him, (and dress him)...but knowing that I'm THAT close makes me crazy! :)
Crazy in a good way. A "get-organized-now-so-I-can-focus-on-mothering-when-he-gets-home" way.
I went through all of Cale's clothes again to see what would line up with Megersa. Cale was a MONSTER, he came home from the hospital in newborn clothes, but by the time he was 2 months old, he weighed 14 lbs!
The last person that checked Megersa's size told me that he was still wearing 0-3 months clothing and that it fit okay.
I'm thinking he'll be at least in a size 3-6 month clothing when he gets home, but all of Cale's 3-6 month clothes are summer clothes - basically onesies.
So I've been on the hunt for 3-6 month clothes....THEN I thought, maybe he'd be in 6-9 month clothes, and I thought it'd be better to err on the larger size, then to buy clothes that wouldn't end up fitting him. He looks teeny, but he IS 4 months old....and how much will he gain in another 2 months or so??? AHHHHHH!
At any rate, I bought a smorgasbord of 6, 6-9, 12, and 18th month clothes...various seasons that I think may line up with where he is weight-wise. I hope they're right!
Just for fun - here's what I bought:Oh, and when I was at Walmart the other night...killing time with Cale, as I often do (Walmart is only 4 minutes from our house), I noticed that cards were on sale. Usually I don't care, but a lot of them were the ones that play music or have special sound effects. I even found some that LIGHT up!!! One in particular was just perfect for Megersa.
On the front of the card it says "I didn't planet this way, but I'm glad our worlds collided!" (Sure, it's suppose to be a romantic card, with 2 people holding hands on top of a world...but I just wrote "Mommy & Daddy" on them, and put a dot in Africa on the world, and put "Megersa")....Anyway, when you open the card, the world is a heart and all around it are little stars that actually light up! The card is set where the stars take turn lighting up while this sweet little music plays - VERY mesmerizing!! I also covered up the little "happy birthday" saying with pictures of Cale, Tim & I.
I hope it gets a smile out of him! (Can you see the little lights on some of the stars? Cute, right?) :)
It's been hard to see the past few pics of him looking so scared, or startled, or unhappy. I mean, I don't think he's unhappy, but it kinda looks that way, and it's hard to see!
Someone volunteered to take this card to Megersa and open it and read the little note inside...which is very nice of her!
As long as it doesn't make him CRY, I'll say that it's $3 well spent!

So yeah, that's what I've been doing to feel connected to my baby who's on the other side of the world.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

that card is so cute!!!

Unknown said...

The card came out awesome -- I'm going to steal your idea for T!

Rachael said...

cute card! i remember trying to figure out clothes sizes too! we had so many clothes Mekonen quickly grew out of or didn't wear b/c i got em' too early. he grew a lot in July and August. way more than we thought. and by the end of August when we got him, he was much bigger and was in 6-9 months. they told us on our travel report he was 14 lbs. but when we got there he was closer to 18 lbs. oops!! so we were a little off. i'd go with 6-9, and maybe a few 3-6 just to be safe. a little big is always better than too small. :)