Katie, Tim & Cale Nester...

...would love it if you would follow along as we record our adoption journey. We feel blessed to be called to adopt a son from Ethiopia!
About our journey:
- We requested "either" gender, 0-18 months.
- We received our referral of Megersa on Nov 5, 2009; he was 2 months old.
- Megersa's name is pronounced "Meh-gur-sah."
- Our case was submitted on Dec 18, 2009 and our court date was Jan 27, 2010. We were fortunate to pass court on the first try!
- Tim's mom and I left for Ethiopia on March 8, 2010 for an Embassy appointment of March 10, 2010. We passed!
- Megersa met the rest of his family in the US 3.13.10.
- When we re-adopt him, his full legal name will be Megersa Jace Nester.

Thursday, January 21, 2010

ATTENTION: kids will listen!!

Okay, it's a give-in that babies and kids are listening to the world around them...specifically their parents.
But when do they begin comprehending?
I'd say, at age 2...somewhere in that year of life, they begin to realize they can listen, understand, and REPEAT everything that they hear.
Kinda makes you take a step back and think much harder about what you say...and listen to! Cale has been repeating us, other people, things he hears on television, etc. for months now; but he recently entered the phase of toddlerhood that he repeats the same thing OVER and OVER and OVER.
So, when you're trying to get him to stop saying "Oh my gosh!" (Which sounds much worse on a 2 year old with a lisp), he ONLY wants to say it. Ahhh!
Tim and I have been more aware of this recently, and it has helped.

Anyway...to my WONDERFUL surprise, Cale has been picking up other things...
For instance:
Today, I asked him to do something. I can't remember exactly (there are so many things :)...maybe "please pick up your crayons, and put them in the box"...to which he promptly responded "No."
This request went in circles for awhile until I decided that I would take another approach.
I would sing a song to him...A good ol' Sunday School song that I sang as a kid (and perhaps guilt him into it! (jk...it was strictly for the lesson!!) :) -

So, I started singing:
"I will OBEY the first time I'm told...
I will obey RIGHT AWAY...
((emphasis on the important words...;))
and to my joyous surprise, Cale finished for me:
"never asking why...
never with a sigh!...
I will obey right away!
"
(I mean, sure the words weren't perfect, but he knew the song!)
WHOA!!!! My first thought was, did I teach him this already?
No, I didn't think so. I called Tim, he never sang it to him either.

I guess they're still using the good ol' songs in Sunday School...20-some years later. AWESOME!!

Honestly, I am so proud that he is my son and is already learning to love the Lord. The other day he reminded us to pray before eating (to be fair...we hadn't even been sitting yet...I guess he just wanted to pray because HE had his food. ;)
He also LOVES Christian music. Maybe that's because it's all we listen to, but still...
He's learning Bible verses too (when I remember to teach him!)!

Another story:
We were in church early, listening to Daddy lead our Worship team, and he was checking out the pews in the front row. He discovered that the hymnals and the Bibles are located under the seats.
When he discovered the Bible, WITHOUT my prompting, he told me, "Mommy, 'dis the Bible." - and then he said his verse (with the motions I taught him).
"John 17:17...Your word is truth."

I am SO proud of him!! I can totally see him being a Youth Pastor or Missionary when he's grown. He's definitely got the personality and energy! (quiet moments with Cale...rare, but beautiful to capture.)